Tuesday 11 March 2014

Why 'Reading'?



My contribution for our Office's Internal Newsletter 'Awaaz' during the celebration of women's day.

***

Name of the hobby: Reading books

When did you start this Hobby (From how many years): From childhood. "MORE" over the past one and half years 

Inspiration to take up this Hobby: Mr. Maalan Narayanan

To explain this, a small introduction about Maalan is necessary. Maalan is a veteran journalist, wonderful writer, Editor of the weekly magazine named "PUTHIYA THALAIMURAI" and my charismatic mentor. He is the one who passionately writes and speaks for the development of the younger generation.

One of his articles changed me completely. It is about the skills of younger generation. He wrote: "It tears my heart to know that one doesn't know about Bharathi even until the age of 30. Without knowing Bharathi, how can you learn about the depth of language and social views? This generation is 100 times smarter than me. If you would have read Bharathi's writings, how much more vigorous you would be!", as it continued.

After reading this how could I not to be reading Bharathi? Until then, I have been reading just whatever I got. After that I started to be selective in my reading materials. I can say, Maalan's words channelized my reading.
 

Why does this mean so much to you? - Few days ago, I wrote one imaginary suicide letter, just for fun.(You can see it on my blog. Link: http://rajeesankar.blogspot.in/2014/01/blog-post_1755.html) Maalan commented on it saying "Your feelings have been expressed properly. Your Writing style has aptly captured the emotion without exaggerating the feeling and gives a lively touch to it. The concealed writer has come out from Rajee. It is not Rajee's suicide attempt, it is the attempt to express her skills". These words are not only a positive feedback for my writing but also the highest blessings I have ever gotten from my master.

His appreciation make me happy and it is not easy to get it from him. In order to get it, I have to work a lot, have to think a lot, have to collect lot of information. So I started reading.

Also my reading habit is protecting my dreams from the flames of daily life. My dreams are what still keeps me alive! My dreams assure me that there is still happiness remains in my life. Giving up my dreams and living as an ordinary person, is not acceptable to me. So I started reading.

"Literature is not something to read for entertainment. It is connected with thought process. Language and Thought process have a traditional continuation to them, and therefore, there are pundits and mentees in Literature", as Maalan said. I would also like to become a successor . I wish to do my best for my language. So I started reading.

I wish to show my love beyond the barriers of nation, religion and language. Religion teaches this to some. Literature teaches the same to me.


 ***

2 comments:

  1. Hi madam, do you have this book "அம்மை வடுமுகத்து ஒரு நாடோடி ஆத்மாவின் நினைவு குறிப்புகள்"?

    ReplyDelete